Let's suppose that it's the end of the world as we know it.
Not a big stretch these days, I realize, but just go with it. Here's the premise: You know you have to have fruits and veggies and probably some grains in that survival garden plot of yours. Right? But what about herbs? Not just for culinary use but for your own homeopathic remedies. So put your prepper thinking caps on for a moment and read on.
Aside from my deep-seated addiction to Oregano, Basil and Garlic what would I really not want to go without for the rest of my life?
Lets establish some ground rules just to keep it interesting. You can only pick 20 and they have to grow in your particular climate zone (or in your house or greenhouse or survival shelter.) AND I'm assuming here you would know how to harvest them, what parts to use (roots, flowers, leaves, berries etc) and that you would know how to make tinctures, salves, teas, etc out of them.
Here's what I've come up with. Assuming that I've gotta be my own best doctor for who knows how long, I think these are my choices, but I'm sure there are others.
Please add your suggestions to the list! Let me know what you'd have in your 20-herb survival garden! I've included the traditional and/or native uses that are common for each.
- Arnica Montana - reduces inflammation, pain, bruising
- Astragalus - antioxidant, anti inflammatory, anti bacterial
- Boneset (Eupatorium Perfoliatum) - upset stomach, menstrual cramps
- Chamomile - calmative, indigestion
- Calendula -healing wounds, soothing the skin
- Comfrey - healing wounds, bones, resist allergens
- Echinacea - treating colds, flu, stimulates the immune system
- Elderberry - bacterial infections, viral infections, tonsilitis
- Evening Primrose - headaches, joint pain, menopause
- Fennel - digestion, colic, gas, blood pressure
- Feverfew - headache, migraines, joint pain, fevers
- Garlic - antibacterial, antioxidant, antibiotic
- Ginger Root - indigestion, motion sickness
- Goldenseal - antibiotic, sore throat, bladder infections
- Lemon Balm - chronic fatigue, nausea, depression, insomnia
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare) - antiviral, rashes
- Rosemary- anti-carcinogen, antiviral, dementia, Alzheimers
- St. Johns Wort - depression, PMS, anxiety
- Valarian - insomnia, anxiety
- Yarrow - antiseptic, decongestant